Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Ash Wednesday 2017

This Lent, we are going to work on being human.  "But, we are already human", you may say "we need spiritual growth" may be the thought. 

Those statements may be true, but, hopefully we are going to begin to move past "Me" and focus on "You", we will focus on shedding dualistic thinking and we will see with the eyes of Christ.  We are going to begin a journey rooted in the gospel that will last a lifetime.

The teachings of Christ are counter cultural and His instruction today brings us to the meat of the gospel.  Do without reward.  "If I do this then this will happen" I begin to expect a reward or a token of appreciation as if I were on a sports team or an Oscar winner, and so my motivation becomes "me" and not "you"

Our Inheritance is already won, and the key to the Kingdom is being human.  How do I treat others that oppose or dislike me? What point do I start at when I meet people or deal with people?  Do I start from the position of acceptance and understanding or do I start at "No" (for whatever reason).  Am I focused on "me" or am I interested in "you" and being in communion with God and Love.

Fast with your spirit as well as the body.  See beyond the immediate gratification.  Experience the woman and child that walk for miles to get a few gallons of water. Experience the hunger of the homeless and marginalized.  Homelessness is NOT just about a physical place to live or living in a parking garage.  Hunger is NOT just about food to eat for the body. 

Praying is NOT just about words. Experience the perspective of the atheist and non believers of Christianity.  Experience the hardship and sadness of humanity. 

Alms-giving is NOT just about giving money. 
Look to the cross of Christ and see what He has done, that we may do.

Ash Wednesday and Lent is a time to disrupt the norms of our inner life and reform and restructure our "inner room"

No comments:

Post a Comment