Thursday, March 09, 2017

Friday after Ash Wednesday

Matthew 9:14-15 
Fasting and abstinence from things during Lent is a time to reflect and in the gospel today Jesus is saying just that.  Enjoy what we have while we have it and recognize the presence of Christ among us.   
We can to that today.   
When we feel hunger we remember the offerings we made with injustices in our heart and the injustices in the world, and we ask to be purged from the behaviors that keep us from treating others with dignity, respect, and love. 
If I have smacked my finger with a hammer I am more inclined to be cautious when I use it again.  Fasting calls to mind the damage my sin does to the world, how it harms my relationship with those around me and the relationship I have with God. 
Being a human requires us to follow our mind around all day and ask honest, serious, and tough questions.  Why am I fasting?  What am I attempting to accomplish?   
Why am I giving?  Why am I?  

No comments:

Post a Comment